Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I Kissed Dating Goodbye; Chapter 1

Okay some of our thoughts on Chapter 1:

Bethany:
"I've come to realize that I have no business asking for a girl's heart and affections if I'm not ready to back up my request with a lifelong commitment. Until I can do that , I'd only be using that woman to meet my short term needs, not seeking to bless her for the long term." Pg. 19
How awesomely true, for both male and female alike. A lack of true commitment, true agape love is the problem in most dating relationships today. Most adolescents (and many don't grow up which is why it is so spread out into adults today) are selfish, thinking only of themselves and what they can get out of it.


Jenna:
"Waiting until I'm ready for commitment before pursuing romance is just one example of letting Christ's love control my relationships with the opposite gender." Pg. 20

I like what you quoted alot, there is a general lack of commitment. When someone shows that they are committed, that shows maturity...it shows that they're not just going to back out on you. Relationships can be so selfish these days, just being about lusts and wanting somebody to hang on to.

Josh:
"Every relationship for a Christian is an opportunity to love another person like God has loved us. To lay down our desires and do what's in his or her best interest. To care for him or her when there's nothing in it for us. To want that persons purity and holiness because it pleases God and protects him or her." Pg. 19

I think it's important to love people like Christ verses a selfish, "what can I get out of this" relationship. Helping the other people maintain purity and protect them is what I want to do.

Our conclusion of the chapter?? We need to hold our commitment high and love others as Christ loves us...not compromising our purity.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You all are my age and even one has my name which isn't a popular name around my parts but I'm glad to see such strong christian character in all of you. I will also be reading this book(for a second time) and comment on what I think..God Bless! _Bethany

Rachel said...

What a great idea to start a blog like this Josh, Jenna, and Bethany! :)

I haven't read the book yet, but it sounds like one worth reading. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on chapter one. :)

God bless you all!
In Him,
Rachel M.

Miah said...

I think it's cool what your doing. I am going to try and get that book today. Either at the library or at a christian book store.

-Riah

Patrick Coffey said...

This is an awesome idea to start a blog like this. Maybe some day you can discuss "Piercing The Darkness" by Frank Peretti! Great idea, and great commenting on the book...

Miah said...

I got it! And I already read the first chapter.
Are ya'll reading one chapter a day? Like today ya'll read chapter one, tomorrow you'll read chapter two?
-Ri

Beth said...

I agree, it's a good idea to start a blog like this.
I enjoyed the first chapter. Can't wait for the second. =)

Eldarwen said...

I will definitely be reading this book. We own it, I just haven't gotten around to finishing it yet. :/ I started it, but had too much to do and thought I'd read it later... well, that "later" never came. lol :D I am going to go read it right now!

~Eldarwen

Jenna said...

Wow, we're all very excited for this book discussion:) We will be posting on a chapter every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. So for this week we are doing chapters 1,2&3.

Blessings to you all!
Jenna