We apologize for falling off of our schedule...is it an excuse to say that we're learning to be flexible with our schedules?! Maybe it is! Anyways, here is last Friday's post. Please share your thoughts in the comment section - we'd love to hear what is on your heart (in relation to the book).
In this chapter, us first borns are called out on some common weaknesses:
- Bossing younger ones around or nagging them
- Making all the decisions
- Demanding or expecting too much
- Constantly finding fault or criticizing
- Being too bus for younger siblings
- Overlooking the needs of the younger ones
- Being embarrassed by them, rather than being proud of their unique features and strengths
- Pushing our own ideas
- Leaving the younger ones out
- Considering ourselves more important than them
- Being too controlling
- Trying to change the faults we see in our siblings
- Teasing and laughing for fun, without realizing the hurt we are causing
- Taking advantage of younger siblings
I have one sister with special needs - on some days I find myself correcting her on everything; seeming like she can't do anything correctly. I try to control her, change the faults that I see in her, I constantly find fault and make all the decisions. Often times I feel like it's so hard for *me* to deal with all of her special needs, but this sibling not only has to deal with her special needs; she has to deal with me and all *my* faults that I listed above.
This chapter has helped me to see that I need to quit correcting her so much, and ENCOURAGE, not tear down. It is not my desire to tear her down.
- Set a good example
- Be willing to learn from her
- Express love
- Protect her from wrong influences, wrong friends and wrong information
- Include her in my life
- Pray for her daily
- Don't have expectations
- Take initiative to do projects with her
We can all apply this loving method of the "older sibling" to our younger siblings, and Lord willing have some much better results in improving our relationships!! Let's build each other up!
Cheerfulness - It may be contagious, but it seems like some people have been vaccinated against the infection
Chores - What to say you're doing if you want a few minutes by yourself
Etc. - The perfect word when you can't think of the right one
Firstborn's philosophy - Never put off til tomorrow what you can order someone else to do today (wouldn't you hate to be known as this??)
Golden Rule - Something that may be old, but hasn't been used enough to show any signs of wear.
Energy - Something little brothers and sisters save for rainy days
Females - People who take their time taking your time:)
Jenna for Bethany and Josh!!
BTW, Bethany had to give her book back to the library and can't get it again right now, so that is why you don't see her wonderful posts...we should all be back soon!! Do you want to help me out in the comment section, and add to my thoughts??!